AuthorMessage
spitz
|CC| Moderator
|CC| Moderator

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: The LIST   Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:31 pm

Hey im makin the first topic in computers! lol i feel honored

anyway i want some feedback from you guys on this. Its my wish list on newegg for my PC build im doing.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=7334472&WishListTitle=PC+build+2k8

I have the case, hard drive, and a power supply already > (will come from my current PC since i had to upgrade a year ago).

Thats the list for now, after its up and running i will go ahead and get a second graphics card. But that requires a better power supply (mines only 650 right now). So that makes it about a $400 upgrade instead of just another $180)

This is my first build from the ground up so i just wanna know if anyone sees any problems with it that i should know about. also if anyone has any suggestions for parts or anything
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bcross
|CC| Administrator
|CC| Administrator

Number of posts : 32

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:43 pm

My 2 cents:

Get the Phenom 9500 instead of the 6400+ about a $16 increase in cost

I would get an 8800 series over the 9600 there are several that are sub 200 now...

what OS are you running? 4gb of memory needs a 64bit OS or it wont see/use over 3.25gb effectively - need to ensure the /pae switch is enabled either way

the hard drive only has an 8mb cache...there are ones with 16mb and 32mb for not much more...get one of those

the hard drive cooler is only necessary imo if you get a 10k 0r 15k rpm drive OR if you have multiple drives on top of one another
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spitz
|CC| Moderator
|CC| Moderator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:29 pm

The hard drive is the one i ended up buying because my last one failed. So its already bought. I thought that one was the same but apparently the one i have has a 16mb cache

Motherboard doesnt support phenom processors, which use socket AM2+.

I plan to get vista, whichever is 64 bit so i can upgrade to 8gb of ram. Or windows XP 64

I liked the 9600 but will do some more research. I did find that 2 9600s in SLI had noteworthy better performance in benchmark tests against the 8800gtx. The 8800gtx had around 75fps while 2 9600s in SLI got around 115fps. Not exact but the numbers were close to that. Much better performance for a lot less the cost.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPC Mani

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:23 pm

spitz i might listen to bx he works with computer for a living and in fact helped me choose the parts for my screeming piece of crap lol well its not crap but the parts now cost so much less than they did lol that what a year does to parts oh well but yeah he knows his shit
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spitz
|CC| Moderator
|CC| Moderator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:46 am

After looking into the 8800 series video cards nothing compares to the 9600 for the price. I found a few that were close but with slower core clock speeds. they also dont support PCI express 2.0. Which i dont have but may upgrade to someday. If they had a faster core clock speed they lacked somewhere else. The closest i found was one with slightly little faster clock speed and 128 stream processors instead of the 64 that the 9600 has. but it also had around a $260 price tag.

As for the hard drive cooler, i threw that out. I really just wanted it cause it would look cool Twisted Evil and would get just a little bit more overall cooling for the whole PC

As for the OS, i added windows vista home 64-bit. Ram isnt too expensive so i may go up to 8gigs eventually. Gotta have the OS to support the hardware Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bcross
|CC| Administrator
|CC| Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:04 pm

64 stream processors SUX - the clock speeds on the 9600 can be gigahertz faster and it wont make up the difference of losing stream processors...

trust me....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spitz
|CC| Moderator
|CC| Moderator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Alrighty then. Ill do some more research. im just goin by the numbers right now. dont know 100% what they all mean. But thanks. Would you mind explaining them to me though? The stream processors?

|CC| Administrator
|CC| Administrator

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:21 pm

What the hell are yawl talking a-bouttttt?????

scratch

to the #1 position- or I'll die trying
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.criticalcrew.net
spitz
|CC| Moderator
|CC| Moderator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:17 pm

Ok well i looked into it more and im making a HUGE upgrade in terms of the GPU. hehe Twisted Evil

A little pricier but i feel it will be well worth it. And im sure ill buy another when the price drops in a few months

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16814130312

Ordering tomorrow. will get it sometime next week. Its gonna be used in my current PC until the new PC is ready to go. Gonna have a MASSIVE bottleneck because im sure the processor and memory cant keep up. but oh well. it will all be unleashed when i get everything else

|CC| Administrator
|CC| Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:20 pm

Good move....

|CC| Moderator
|CC| Moderator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:57 pm

Twisted Evil I just wish i could afford a motherboard with PCI express 2.0. But to get a board with 2 PCI-E 2.0 slots youre lookin at easily over $300, maybe $400

Oh well. Gotta pay the price for the newest tech

|CC| Moderator
|CC| Moderator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:26 pm

Ordered the graphics card before noon today. and fedex already has it and its on its way! wow. expected delivery is wednesday. newegg is a great company!

Im excited to see how nvidia cards compare to ATI. Ive been an ATI guy forever. Decided to switch things up, amd processor and nvidia graphics

|CC| Moderator
|CC| Moderator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:59 pm

Awww man. As cross said go for the phenom processor. I found out that the motherboard supports socket AM2+ processors with a BIOS update. So the dual core is out and for just 15 bucks more im going with a quad core AMD phenom 2.2ghz 9500! I also made a small change to the memory, since i want to run 2 cards in SLI at some point i decided to go with SLI ready memory. A few bucks more but im sure will be well worth it in the end.

The list is updated and only shows what i have left to buy. Anything else im overlooking bcross?

|CC| Administrator
|CC| Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:11 pm

Looks good to me....enjoy it.

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:25 pm

see i told you cross knew what he was talking about
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bcross
|CC| Administrator
|CC| Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:49 pm

BUT....

I wouldnt order VISTA...I would stick with XP 64bit.....

AND go here...

use this link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16819103244

and coupon code cpu32940 to make it $189

|CC| Moderator
|CC| Moderator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:27 pm

i wont be ordering everything else for another month. Will that coupon code work then?

Any why not vista? Ive heard some bad things about xp 64 bit. Im really kinda just ready to upgrade to the next level with vista. Does xp 64 bit support Direct x 10?

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:39 pm

vista for gaming sucks.... it takes to much memory and makes things run slower because vista takes up so many processess trust me i know i have vista 64 bit something and id rather have xp pro 64
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spitz
|CC| Moderator
|CC| Moderator

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:56 am

Im starting with 4 gigs of ram, and a quad core processor. Should be more than enough for vista

Im sticking with vista. Everything im buying will be compatible with vista and i want to take advantage of directX 10

PostSubject: Re: The LIST   

Back to top Go down

The LIST
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Truly Fatal :: Hot Topics :: Computers-
Jump to: